This really does taste like cinnamon “toast” crunch! I had just under 1 cup of leftover cooked white/red quinoa from making Buddha bowls, so I thought I’d give this a try. I saw this idea on Cookie + Kate‘s Instagram before going to bed last night; it seemed like the perfect way to get through our 3 hrs of med surg morning lecture and still make it to an afternoon spin (since I haven’t gone in since end of August 🙈). Fun fact: I like using nuts from Trader Joe’s; they’re much cheaper and more bang for your buck. What a power breakfast this was! The cinnamon and pecans were quite fragrant and added such a great flavor. I know what I’m making next time I have leftover quinoa — Toasted Cinnamon Pecan Quinoa for breakfast. Side note, I might have to try this in a slow cooker…
Ingredients (serves 1).
For the Bowl:
- 1 c cooked quinoa
- 2 T chopped pecans
- 1 t coconut oil
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1 t light agave nectar (or more to taste
- 1 T low-sugar dried cranberries (preferably unsweetened)
- 1 T unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 t chia seeds
- Unsweetened original almond milk or milk of choice
- In a small saucepan, toast pecans over medium heat until fragrant — about 4 min. Toss or stir pecans every so often to prevent burning.
- Once fragrant, add cinnamon and coconut oil, stirring well until oil liquifies. This should be pretty instantaneous.
- Stir in quinoa and heat until warm.
- Remove from heat, plate and add toppings. If you add milk, you may need to reheat if you prefer your breakfast warm or hot.
Adapted from Cookie + Kate‘s “Cinnamon Toast Breakfast Quinoa.”