Remember that Avocado Tzatziki? Obviously it had a purpose — for Moroccan Chickpea Glow Bowls with Avocado Tzatziki 🤗. The original recipe called these “detox” bowls and I can see why. You’re definitely satisfied after eating these, but not in an overly full, stuffed sort of way. The flavors are great! I haven’t experimented too much with Moroccan cooking and spices, but the blend was on point and a nice change from Thai, Indian, Mexican or Italian cuisine. I also tried these swapping the rice for shredded, plain chicken, which works well if you want a carnivore option. The mint in the tzatziki pairs so well with the spices and the jalapeño cilantro hummus adds a nice kick (but you can use any hummus or omit it entirely). The wonderful thing about these glow bowls is you can play around with them, swap ingredients, mix and match and really make them your own.
For the Chickpeas (serves 6):
- 2 t olive oil
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 t turmeric
- 1 t garam masala
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- Dash of cinnamon to taste
- Dash of cayenne to taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 cans (14 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (14 oz.) fire-roasted diced tomatoes (preferably no salt added)
- 4-5 large dinosaur kale leaves, chopped into thin strips
For the Bowl (proportions per bowl):
- 1 generous spoonful of Avocado Tzatziki — I think the fresh mint version works really well for this!
- 1 generous spoonful of hummus (I used Hope Food’s Jalapeño Cilantro Hummus)
- 1/4 c chopped cucumbers
- 1/4 c matchstick carrots
- 1/3 c brown rice/cauliflower blend
- 1/4 to 1/3 c chicken (optional — not shown, but I tested this and it’s great!)
- Fresh cilantro to top
- Fresh mint to top
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium heat. Once hot, sauté onions until tender.
- Stir in all spices and chickpeas and cook until chickpeas are well coated and fragrant.
- Drain one can of tomatoes and leave the other undrained. Add tomatoes and reduce to a simmer for about 20 min. With 5 min left, stir in kale.
- Prep the bowls.
- To make Cauliflower Brown Rice:
- Combine 1 c water and 1/2 c brown rice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and keep covered for about 20-30 min or until water evaporates. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Thaw 1 package frozen cauliflower (16 oz.) according to package directions and loosely chop (or rice cauliflower).
- Combine cauliflower with brown rice once rice is done.
- Plate chickpeas, rice, cucumbers and carrots. Top with tzatziki, hummus and fresh herbs. Serve chickpeas/rice warm.
Adapted from Pinch of Yum‘s “Detox Moroccan-Spiced Chickpea Glow Bowl.”
Other Bowl Additions (I haven’t tried these, but more ideas!):
- Pita chips
- Plain yogurt
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh dill
- Tzatziki (traditional)
- Hummus flavors
- Red pepper flakes
- Lemon juice