I warned you I’d be on a kick after making the Eggs in a Hole with a Garlic Kale Hash I saw in SELF‘s New Year’s Challenge. (The challenge was active for the month of January and was complete with a meal plan and workouts, but still see if you can check out the recipes!) This time making eggs in a hole, I added some creamy avocado, fresh herbs, a kick and tang from banana peppers and protein in the turkey. Just the right amount of flavor and freshness, I give you Eggs in a Hole with a Spicy Avocado Cilantro Hash.
Ingredients (serves 1).
- 1 t coconut oil
- 1 t minced garlic
- 5 kale leaves, washed, stems removed and chopped
- Handful of spinach
- 2 slices oven-roasted deli turkey, chopped (optional — you can also use 1-2 slices of turkey bacon)
- 1 t chopped banana peppers
- 1/4 avocado, cubed
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 piece multigrain bread
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, washed and torn
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat until oil is melted and pan is well coated. Once pan is hot, add garlic.
- Add kale and sauté until wilted — about 3-4 min. Mix in turkey (optional), banana peppers and spinach to allow turkey to warm and spinach to wilt. If you want a kick, add a few “shakes” of red pepper flakes. Remove kale mixture from heat and plate.
- If needed, add 1/2 t more coconut oil, but pan should still be well coated. Cut a 1″ to 1½” diameter hole in the bread; remove the inner circle.
- In the same greased pan, place bread flat. Crack egg in the inner circle. Cook for 2 min. Then add 1 T of water to pan, cover with a lid and then cook for 2 more min.
- Remove lid, flip egg/bread together and cook 1-2 min. depending if you want a runny yolk (1 min) or a solid yolk (2+ min).
- Once at desired yolk “doneness,” place the egg/bread next to the kale hash and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top hash with avocado and garnish with cilantro.
- Dig in and enjoy!
Adapted from my Eggs in a Hole with a Garlic Kale Hash.