So I’m finally testing out my inspiralizer from William Sonoma that I got for Christmas. First thing I tried? Purple cabbage. Ambitious, I know. While not perfectly spiralized, the cabbage came out in thinner strips than I would’ve been able to chop and much longer than if I used a food processor. The cabbage was mesmerizing and has the coolest designs, in case you were wondering because I know you were. Gimme Some Oven came out with this Detox Salad after New Years. While it is DELISH and I’m obsessed with the dressing, I made it a bit hardier so it would more of a meal and less of a side. The Carrot Ginger Dressing is sweet, tangy, sour and so flavorful. I’m in love with the red cabbage in the bowls. It’s much more tender and benign when spiralized. I’m also just extremely biased to chopped salads and this Rainbow Detox Veggie Bowl is no exception. It’s almost too pretty to eat. (But actually eat it because it’s delicious.)
Ingredients (serves 4).
For the Bowl:
- 1 c red quinoa, dry (doesn’t have to be red but adds more color!)
- 8 large dinosaur kale leaves — about 2 c *
- 2 c matchstick carrots
- 1 c edamame
- 1 c fresh basil *
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, finely minced (optional or substitute red pepper flakes) *
- 3 c red cabbage, spiralized *
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 10-12 raw almonds, chopped (optional for a crunch — I had it with/without and didn’t make a huge difference)
For the Carrot Ginger Dressing:
- 1 medium carrot peeled/chopped — OR — 1/2 c matchstick carrots
- 1 T fresh ginger, minced
- 2 t white miso
- 1/4 c rice vinegar
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1/2 t sesame oil
- 1 t agave or +/- to taste
NOTE: I made this dressing again and doubled everything, but added 1 T miso and 1 t agave and it still tasted great!
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- In a small food processor, Magic Bullet, or blender, combine ingredients for salad and blend until well combined and smooth. Set aside
- You can either finely hand chop any * ingredients or loosely pulse veggies in a food processor to also do the same.
- While the quinoa cooks, combine salad ingredients except avocado in a large bowl. Toss with dressing.
- NOTE: if you’re not serving the bowls all at once, add 1 T dressing per serving. Store the dressing in a sealed jar and the extra salad ingredients in a sealed container in the fridge.
- Once quinoa is cooked, plate 1/2 c quinoa between four bowls/plates. Divide salad and top quinoa.
- Add 1/4 of a diced avocado to each bowl.
- If eating servings all at once, toss the avocado with the salad in step 4. I usually reserve it and top each serving individually because it browns so quickly.
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven‘s “Seriously Delicious Detox Salad.”
To Meal Prep:
The best way to pack these for weekly lunches/meals is to put the hardest ingredients on the bottom so they don’t get soggy from the dressing. Then layer up with what is most likely to wilt on top (i.e. basil).
- On the bottom, add 1/2 c quinoa, almonds and 1 T dressing.
- Top with jalapeño, edamame, green onions and carrots.
- Then kale, cabbage and basil.
- Avocado goes last!
1 thought on “The Most Colorful Detox Bowls”