There’s been two things going on with me: 1). I’ve been trying to meal plan and meal prep lately, especially since we had a busy exam schedule this week; and 2). I’ve been craving some really greasy Chinese foods. Ok, maybe not really greasy, but something sweet, salty and savory with an Asian fusion all wrapped into one. I got this idea for Asian meal prep bowls from Damn Delicious, which I especially like because she includes nutritional facts for each serving. I had ingredients for sesame chicken (since Damn Delicious makes a teriyaki chicken) and used Skinny Taste for the chicken, but swapped ground chicken for chicken breasts. I popped everything in the crock pot while studying on Monday, let it brew while reviewing cardiac nursing and dished it up just in time for dinner. Garnished with sesame seeds and green onions, these Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken Brown Rice Bowls are *almost* better than take-out.
Ingredients (serves 4).
For the Chicken:
- 1 lb. ground chicken (preferably 95% or more lean)
- 3 T reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1½ T rice wine vinegar
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1½ T agave (or more to taste)
- 1/2 T water
- 1 t sesame oil
- 1/2 t sriracha (more/less depending on taste)
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- Dash black pepper
- 1/4 c hot water (optional)
- 1 T cornstarch (optional — to thicken)
For the Bowls:
- 1 c brown rice, uncooked
- 1 head broccoli
- 1/4 onion cut into half moon slices
- 1 bell pepper, sliced (I used half red and half orange)
- Sesame seeds (to garnish)
- Chopped scallions (to garnish)
- Dash of extra soy sauce and/or sriracha
- With cook spray, lightly grease crock pot. Add ground chicken.
- Combine ingredients for the sauce and whisk together. Taste test BEFORE you combine the sauce with the raw chicken. Adjust sweetness to taste. Pour sauce over chicken and toss well so chicken is evenly coated. Cover and cook on low for 3 hrs.
- When chicken is cooked, mix the remaining 1/4 c hot water with cornstarch (or swap with 2 T flour) and stir in to thicken sauce (optional).
- Turn slow cooker up to high and top with broccoli, onions and peppers and cook for an additional 30-45 min or until veggies are tender. Meanwhile, cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Plate 1/2 c brown rice with 1 heaping c of sesame chicken and veggies. You should have some brown rice left over.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.
Chicken adapted from Skinny Taste‘s “Crock Pot Sesame Honey Chicken” and idea for meal prep bowls from Damn Delicious‘s “Asian Meal Prep Bowls.”