I made my own vegetable broth! It’s so easy thanks to Buzzfeed’s Tasty. Save veggie scraps, toss them in the freezer in a ziplock, and once the bag is full, you add the scraps, fill with water and simmer your broth to perfection. I’ve also done this in a slower cooker with a chicken carcass, carrots, onion and celery to make chicken stock — another easy 8 hr option. Plus, it’s great since you can manage how much sodium is in the broth; I added 1 teaspoon of salt for the whole batch, which is about 150 mg of sodium per cup of homemade veggie broth. I made this broth during the week while studying and I’ve been accumulating excess veggies leftover from Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken Brown Rice Bowls and Spaghetti Squash Lasagna ever since. I decided it was Soup Sunday and made a Winter Veggie Detox Soup with what I had piling up in my fridge. Winter produce that’s in season are lemons (or any citrus), kale, and sweet potatoes. I used fresh and ground spices to rev up metabolism, aid with digestion and help with inflammation. Not sure if it’s so tasty from sautéing lemon slices in fresh garlic, ginger and coconut oil or if it’s the flavors from the turmeric, cayenne and cinnamon, but for totally winging this soup, it’s pretty darn good.
Ingredients (serves 4-6).
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1/4 onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 c matchstick carrots
- 2 t minced garlic
- 1 T fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 3-5 lemon slices
- 3-4 celery stalk, diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 6 c vegetable broth (I made my own! Follow the easiest directions here.)
- 2 c water
- 1/4 t turmeric, ground (be careful — it stains!)
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper (or more/less to taste)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 zucchini, ribboned (use a vegetable peeler or just chop)
- 4 c kale, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c cooked brown rice (optional)
- Extra red pepper flakes to garnish
- Sea salt to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Once melted, add onions, carrots, garlic, ginger and lemon slices. Sauté until fragrant and tender, about 4-5 min.
- Add 1/2 c of broth, celery and sweet potatoes. Sauté for about 5 min. Add remaining broth, water, turmeric, cayenne and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and add zucchini, kale and beans. Simmer covered for about 10 min or until sweet potato is tender and cooked through.
- Remove cinnamon stick and lemon slices — optional since they do cook down and the rinds are quite tender/flavorful. Serve immediately.
Adapted from my Detox Soup.