Love me a one pan meal. I’ve been craving tacos after I saw the idea on BuzzFeed for one pot meals (see the first entry if you’re curious). I haven’t made anything taco related in a looooong time — not since Not Your Average Taco Salad. Whole Foods had a sale on lean ground beef yesterday so I knew the timing was perfect. I made my own taco seasoning courtesy of Gimme Some Oven while the meat browned. The hardest part of this was chopping the onion, peppers, zucchini and jalapeño, which in actuality isn’t that hard. The veggies plus spinach pack in more nutrients than your traditional taco. You mix everything together and assemble without missing any of the taco flavors. Happy Taco Tuesday with these Taco Skillet Bowls.
Ingredients (serves 4-6).
For the Skillet:
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef (at least 85%)
- 1 t light olive oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1½ bell peppers, sliced (I used a combo of red, orange and yellow)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 can (14.5 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 T taco seasoning (see below)
- 4 c spinach (about half of a 9 oz bag)
For the Taco Seasoning:
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- 1/8 t salt (optional)
- 1/8 t cayenne (optional)
- Avocado slices
- Jalapeño (optional to remove the seeds)
- Green onions
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro (not shown)
- Non-fat Greek yogurt or sour cream (not shown)
- Cheese (not shown)
- Salsa (not shown)
- With tortilla chips (not shown)
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Once hot, add onions and sauté until tender. Then add beef and cook until crumbled and brown, about 6-8 min. Line a plate or baking sheet with paper towels.
- Remove beef from heat and “drain” on paper towels. Pat dry with new paper towels and wipe out the pan so all grease is removed. (If you use ground chicken or turkey, tofu or quinoa, you can omit this step.)
- In the “clean” pan, add water so the bottom is just covered. Then add pepper and zucchini. Sauté over medium heat until tender.
- Dump can of tomatoes and drained beans into pan with veggies. Add drained meat back in with taco seasoning. Mix well so meat and veggies are well coated.
- Start adding spinach by the handful. Once wilted, add the next handful and repeat until spinach is all mixed in.
- Plate taco skillet in a bowl. Top with avocado, sliced jalapeño, scallions and a lime wedge.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Homemade taco seasoning from Gimme Some Oven. Idea for a One Pot Taco Skillet from Bijoux & Bits.