I’m on a slow cooker kick, especially with these one bowl meals. (Well, this isn’t quite a one pot dinner, but it doesn’t mean it isn’t easy.) Mmmmm, delicious Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken. Especially with exams coming up, it’s so easy to let the chicken cook all day and then just whip up the bowls at night. I used frozen cauliflower and peppers for less chopping and to save time. It’s so easy to have frozen veggie on hand! I always have cauliflower stocked in my freezer. Let the rice cook while the coconut curry chicken warms and you can kick back and relax (or in my case study).
Ingredients (serves 4 with some leftover “rice”).
For the Chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 t coconut oil
- 2 t minced garlic
- 1 can (15 oz.) light coconut milk
- 2 T red curry paste
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t chili powder
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
For the Bowls:
- 2-3 t coconut oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced into half moons *
- 1 16 oz. package frozen three pepper medley (about 2-3 c when thawed) *
- 1 16 oz. package frozen cauliflower (about 4 c when thawed)
- 1/2 c brown rice, dry
- 1 c water
- Fresh cilantro to garnish
- Sriracha for a kick
* NOTE: I looked for a frozen stir fry package, which is usually peppers and onions. Whole Foods was out, so I opted for their tri pepper option — red, green and yellows pepper. Feel free to use fresh bell peppers as well. I was short on time and like the ease of having frozen veggies on hand!
- Add coconut oil and garlic to the bottom of the slow cooker. Place chicken breasts on top. Cover and cook on high for 2-4 hrs or on low for 6-8 hrs or until chicken is cooked through. (I cooked the chicken on high for 3 hrs.)
- Once chicken is cooked, remove and shred with two forks. Add chicken back to slow cooker and set to warm.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients for chicken and pour over shredded chicken in slow cooker. Allow coconut curry chicken to warm before serving.
- Meanwhile, with 30 min left in the chicken, combine water and rice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and keep covered for about 20-30 min or until water evaporates. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- At the same time, thaw peppers and cauliflower according to package directions. Keep peppers as is and loosely chop cauliflower.
- In a wok or large sauté pan, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until just tender. Stir in peppers and sauté until tender and fragrant.
- Once brown rice is done, stir in chopped cauliflower.
- Plate 1/ 2 c rice/cauliflower with onions/peppers and coconut curry chicken. Garnish with 1 T fresh cilantro and sriracha as desired (both optional) per bowl.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Adapted from Fit Foodie Finds‘ “Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken.”