I had some leftover ricotta after making Spaghetti Squash Lasagna, and ricotta adds a whole new level of creamy to this quiche. The nutmeg complements the ricotta, parmesan and kale perfectly. You can definitely add a crust to this quiche, especially if you’ll be serving this that day or eating leftovers the day after. When I make this for the week, the crust is too soggy 4 days out and doesn’t keep well. With a crust or without, either way, Kale Ricotta Quiche is yummy in my tummy.
Ingredients (serves 4).
- 1-2 t light olive oil
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 5-6 large kale leaves, chopped
- 2 hearty handfuls of spinach
- 4 eggs
- 1 c almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/8 nutmeg
- 1 c part skim ricotta
- 1 T parmesan
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Grease a pie pan.
- In a frying pan or skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until caramelized. Fold in kale and spinach. (Note: remove kale spines and you can either discard to finely chop and add with kale until they cook down and are tender.) Heat until sautéed and wilted. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together eggs and milk. Add ricotta and continue to whisk until smooth. Fold in parmesan and sautéed greens until evenly coated.
- Transfer to pie pan and cook for 20-30 min or until cooked through, firm and beginning to brown.
- Allow to cool before serving. Season with salt and pepper to taste.