Sorry I’m not — another bowl recipe. I made March my mission for “Measure March” or “Meal Prep March” and bowls are so easy for this. You get the perfect serving size and a mix of protein, grains and/or veggies. I went for an Indonesian Inspired Quinoa Bowls to “switch” things up. I must say the red curry, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves added such nice flavors to the meat. Again, I’m all about those quick meals. Originally calling for ground beef, I used rotisserie chicken for less to prep and less to worry about in terms of cooking — plus I prefer chicken over beef. Sorry to my steak lovers. I shredded the rotisserie chicken beforehand, tossed it with the curry, spices and coconut milk and let it all simmer to perfection, while I made the quinoa and chopped everything for the bowls. The purple cabbage and cucumber add color and a nice crunch. This perfectly makes four servings so get ready for leftovers!
Ingredients (serves 4).
- 1/2 c quinoa, dry (any color)
- 1½ c cauliflower rice, frozen
- 2 c chicken, cooked and shredded (I used rotisserie)
- 3 T red curry paste
- 1 can (15 oz.) light coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg (freshly ground preferred)
- 1/8 t g cloves
- 2 mini cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 c purple cabbage, thinly chopped (or spiralized!)
- 1 jalapeño, chopped into medallions (seeds optional)
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro, packed
- 4 lime wedges
- In a large skillet, heat curry paste over medium-high heat, stirring for a few sec until fragrant. Pour in coconut milk and mix well. Add cinnamon stick, nutmeg, and cloves and again, stir to combine. Add cooked chicken. Bring to boil and then reduce to a simmer, uncovered, for about 20 min. Stir occasionally.
- In a small saucepan, cook quinoa according to package directions. Once boiling, add cauliflower rice and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Before serving, discard cinnamon stick.
- Plate 1/2 heaping c of quinoa, 1/2 c chicken with added spoonfuls of the broth, 1/2 cucumber, 1/4 c cabbage, 1/8 cilantro, 1/4 jalapeño and 1 lime wedge.
- Squeeze the lime wedge alllllll over the bowl before enjoying!
Adapted from Better Home & Gardens “Indonesian-Style Beef & Rice Bowls.”