Confession: apparently I don’t have a square baking pan? I realize this every time I need one and never seem to remember to pick one up when I don’t. This explains as to why I baked my brownies in a pie pan and the pieces aren’t perfect squares . . . I made chocolate cookies using Greek yogurt before instead of butter and loved them. Like those, I made Greek Yogurt “Skinny” Brownies, which baked into dense, yummy brownies. These brownies are lower in sugar, low in fat (with the fat being healthier) and more nutrient packed if you use carob over cocoa powder. I tossed in some chopped walnuts and unsweetened coconut for texture. I was rationing my chocolate chips and would totally add more for next time! I’ve really wanted a true dessert versus just grabbing some dark chocolate pieces and/or some dates post dinner. I’ve been dreaming of some Halo Top ice cream on top of these brownies — stay tuned. It’s going to be amazing.
Ingredients (makes about 24 brownies with 1-2 pieces as a serving).
- 2-3 T agave nectar
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3/4 c nonfat Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/2 c cocoa powder (or carob!) *
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/8 c chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/8 c unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
* Note: I made these using carob powder for one batch and cocoa for another. It’s totally up to you for preference, since carob takes one a distinct flavor from cocoa. It’s not a powerful as a brownie and still pairs well with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. (You’ve been warned!)
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease an 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream agave, sugar, egg whites and vanilla. Fold in yogurt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk flour, carob, salt and baking powder until well mix.
- Slowly combine dry ingredient with wet and mix well until batter forms and dry ingredients disappear.
- Meanwhile, combine 1/4 c chocolate chips with coconut oil and microwave on 30 sec intervals, stirring in between, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour into brownie batter and continue to mix well until combined.
- Fold in remaining chocolate chips, walnuts and coconut.
- Pour into baking pan and using a butter knife or clean finger, spread out batter so it reaches all edges of the pan and is evenly distributed.
- Bake for about 20-25 min or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let brownies cool and set before slicing.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Adapted from Healthy Greek Yogurt Brownies and also from Slimmed-Down Brownies.