I’m back on an overnight oat fix (and smoothies, but we’ll get leave that for another time). We’ve had some stressful exam weeks approaching finals so meal prepping has been key. I whipped up a couple jars of some different flavors like Carrot “Cake” Overnight Oats. These are so easy to make, you can enjoy them hot or cold and you have all the flavors of carrot cake without the huge indulgence. I also promise you won’t even realize the carrots are there. They finer you grate them, the more they disappear. (It’s like a zucchini bread turned oatmeal if you still need a hard sell.)
Ingredients (serves 2).
- 1 c oats
- 2 t chia seeds
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/8 t nutmeg
- 1/8 t ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 c carrots, grated or finely chopped
- 2 T dried cranberries (raisins preferred — I just didn’t have any)
- 1 ¼ c almond milk or milk of choice (just enough to cover oats)
- 3-4 t agave to taste
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 T plain non-fat Greek yogurt to top (swap for dairy-free to be vegan)
- Cinnamon sugar
- In two jars or sealable containers, divide oats through salt. Mix well.
- Stir in carrots, pecans and cranberries to each.
- Add wet ingredients — milk, agave and vanilla and mix well until wet ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Cover both containers and refrigerate overnight.
- Top with extra milk (if needed) and yogurt and dust with cinnamon sugar.
- Dig in and enjoy!
Nutrition for 1 serving.
270 calories • 6 g fat (17%) • 57.5 g carbs (73%) • 7.6 g protein (10%) • 9.5 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.