I’ve been on a colorful salad and bowl kick lately. This Rainbow Quinoa Salad did not disappoint. Can you sense a taste trend here? I also really liked this Peanut Ginger Dressing and it was very easy to make. I made this salad dressing combo during the week when I had exams and presentations and had my last serving today. Can I already have another? I used a combination of yellow and red bell peppers to give a more colorful kick and balance the other colors. Served cold, it hit the spot during this warm, toasty April week.
Ingredients (serves 4).
For the Salad:
- 2 c quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (I used a combo of half red and half yellow)
- 1 c matchstick carrots
- 1 c edamame, shelled (I used frozen)
- 4 c baby spinach (kale works too)
- 2 c purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 t sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- Sriracha to taste
For the Dressing:
- 4 T of powdered peanut butter like PB2
- 1/4 c warm water
- 1 t rice vinegar
- 1 T soy sauce (reduced sodium)
- 1/2 t agave nectar
- 1/2 t ground ginger
- In a small jar, add ingredients for the dressing and mix well. You may need to add a bit more warm water to help dissolve the PB2.
- The dressing can be stored in a sealed jar for 1-2 wks. Mix/shake well before serving.
- In a large bowl, add quinoa through avocado along with the dressing. Toss well until salad is evenly coated. Add sesame seeds if using and toss again.
- Divide between 4 bowls/plates and garnish each with fresh lime juice. Drizzle with sriracha (optional but worth it!).
- If meal prepping, add 1-2 T dressing to the bottom of the container. This helps prevent anything from getting soggy.
- Top with 1/2 c quinoa, 1/4 c edamame, 1/4 c carrots, 1/4 of the chopped bell peppers, 1/2 c cabbage, 1/4 of lime and sriracha (optional).
- Add 1 c spinach and/or 1/4 of an avocado last or the morning of.
Adapted from Jessica in the Kitchen‘s “Cashew Thai Quinoa Salad with a Peanut Ginger Dressing.”