I’ve been craving pizza lately and when I say craving, I mean CRAVING. I didn’t feel like making a cauliflower crust, I couldn’t find my go-to naan at Whole Foods, and I didn’t want to make dough from scratch. Instead I found Top This! Whole Wheat 13″ Crust in the freezer section. It was thin, crispy, and had a nice char flavor since it’s grilled. I went a little light on sauce/toppings since I wasn’t sure how this crust would hold up, but next time I make it, I can definitely go closer to the edge and add some more BBQ. The honey sriracha BBQ sauce pairs well with chicken sausage to give you a Crispy BBQ Sausage Flatbread.
Ingredients (serves 2-4 *).
- 1 thin pizza crust (I used Top This! Whole Wheat 13″ Crust)
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
- 2-4 T BBQ sauce (like Stonewall Kitchen Honey Sriracha BBQ)
- Chicken sausage
- Chopped spinach
- Tomatoes, diced
- Red pepper flakes
- Grated parmesan
* If pairing with a salad, beers, other sides, use 2 slices for a serving. Feel free to have 3 (maybe 4!) — up to you. You can also chop this up in smaller, bite-size pieces and serve as an app!
- Preheat oven to crust’s package directions.
- Top This! crust recommended being easy on the sauce/toppings due to its thin nature. They also recommended adding any cheese first, so I did just that.
- I used BBQ sauce for flavor and to prevent the pizza from getting soggy vs lathering on a red sauce.
- Add your desired toppings along with “dollops” (hate that word) of BBQ sauce. Go as close to the edge as you want your crust to be.
- Cook according to package directions. If using chopped spinach, add 2-3 min before the end time to prevent burning.
- Top with red pepper flakes and/or freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Slice up and enjoy!