Happy Meatless Monday! This colorful stir fry packs 30 g of protein when using 1 egg and 3 T egg whites. Not bad for eating meatless. I got this idea for a Colorful Veggie Stir Fry with Tofu from PopSugar. I’ve realized I don’t get enough protein a day (like most women), and I’ve been trying to consciously add more protein to dishes when I can. My existing diet seems to revolve mostly around veggies and grains (not a bad thing! But hey, carbs), so I’m trying to make a transition to one of a more balanced “macro” diet, but thus, incorporating more protein. Macronutrients can be broken down into carbs or carbohydrates, protein and fat. A macro diet doesn’t focus on calories alone, but the types of calories you’re eating and the certain percentage of how those calories compare. For the stir fry, I added in eggs and tofu. I tried both a steamed veggie (less oil, i.e. fat) and stir fry veggie option. Honestly, they had about the same in flavor and the steamed option was faster and more convenient using your handy microwave. The flavor really comes from the soy sauce for the tofu and sriracha to top. My favorite method was the steamed veggies with scrambles eggs because it was just SO EASY, but I included both below. (Looks complicated, but I assure you it’s not.) I already know what I’m having for lunch the next two days. Also great for meal prepping!
Please note: I am NOT a dietician or healthcare provider. I am just a lowly nursing student, who has a passion for nutrition, exercise and eating well. Please talk to your healthcare provider before making any dietary changes, as these changes should be tailored to and based on your individual height, weight, caloric intake, goals and overall health.
Ingredients (serves 4).
- 2 c whole wheat pasta, cooked (or 1½ dry/uncooked)
- 1 package (14 oz) lite tofu, pressed (this drains excess water)
- 4 T reduced sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 c matchstick carrots
- 2 c spinach
- 2 c purple cabbage, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 package frozen cauliflower
- 4 eggs *
- 4 egg whites *
- Cooking spray — olive oil or coconut oil preferred
- 4 mini cucumbers, chopped (optional, but adds crunch!)
- Sesame seeds
* Note: if you want more protein, use 2 eggs or try adding more egg whites.
- Thaw cauliflower according to package directions.
- Slice pressed tofu lengthwise and then into 4 columns and 5 rows. You should have 20 cubes in each layer with a total of 40 cubes.
- Marinate 10 cubes of tofu in 2-3 t of reduced sodium soy sauce. Flip after 5 min.
- Prep veggies by either stir frying or steam — see below.
- Lightly grease a small frying pan with cooking spray. Either fry or scramble eggs. If fried, serve on top. If scrambled, mix in with stir fry when you add pasta to sautéed veggies. (See photos for options below).
- Top with chopped cucumber (optional). Drizzle with sriracha and sesame seeds.
Stir Fry Version:
- While tofu marinates, heat 1 t minced garlic with 2 t light olive oil in a large wok or skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, cabbage and peppers. Sauté until fragrant and veggies are tender. Mix in tofu (with excess soy sauce) and thawed cauliflower. Toss until veggies are well coated in soy sauce. Add spinach and sauté until leaves just start to wilt.
- Remove from heat and toss veggies with pasta.
Steam Veggies Version: omit garlic/oil!
- While tofu marinates, add carrots, cabbage, and peppers to a microwavable container like a pyrex cup. Loosely cover and microwave on high for 1 min.
- Stir in spinach leaves. Microwave on high again for 30 min intervals, stirring in between. Stop when spinach leaves are just wilted.
- Toss marinated tofu, pasta and thawed cauliflower with steamed veggies.
Inspired by Pop Sugar‘s Tofu, Noodles & Veggies Dinner in their Macro Diet Plan.
For Meal Prepping.
- 10 cubes marinated tofu
- 1 T reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 c cooked pasta
- 2 c of sautéed/steamed veggies, heaping
- 1 egg (more/less on preference)
- 1 mini cucumber (optional)
- Sriracha and sesame seeds
- Note: if reheating, I reheated the pasta and tofu separate from the veggies and tossed everything together after because it’s easy to overheat pasta. No thanks to crunchy, rubbery pasta.
With 1 egg, fried, and stir fry veggies.
With 1 egg + 3 T egg whites, scrambled and steamed veggies.