I made a boomerang for this, but sadly, uploading videos to my blog is somehow surprisingly complicated. Thus, you’re stuck with these rainy background photos, whose melancholy nature actually makes you want to drink tea, right? I made this Apple Cider Vinegar Detox Tea last spring using local honey in an attempt to keep my allergies at bay. Not entirely sure if it helped for allergies, but I enjoyed drinking the tart tea warm either first thing in the morning or right before bed. I’ve been an on-again, off-again Tone It Up follower for 3 years now, and they recommended a version of this they call “Meta D” with apple cider vinegar (ACV), apple juice, cinnamon and cayenne. (They also have ACV and fruit blends here.) It does boost some health benefits that can’t hurt: cinnamon is anti-inflammatory, ginger helps with digestion and ACV and cayenne rev up metabolism. Here’s a warning, it is quite tart, but try to enjoy without overloading it with honey (aka sugar albeit ). I also really like this not cold, not piping hot, but warm juuuuust right in the middle.
Ingredients (serves 8 with 8 oz [1 c] serving size).
- 8 c water *
- 1/2 c apple cider vinegar *
- 1″ fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into medallions
- Juice from 1 lemon, save halves
- 1-2 T honey (or agave to be vegan)
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks (or 2 t ground — I like using the stick so then there’s not “bits” in my drink!)
- Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
* NOTE: I stuck to a 1 T ACV : 1 c water ratio; otherwise, it was too tart for me.
- Bring water, lemon juice and lemon halves to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir in all ingredients. Let simmer for 2-3 min and remove from heat.
- Drink hot, cold, as is and/or dilute with more water. If too sour, add more honey to taste.
- Store in a sealed container for 1-2 wks in the fridge. Reheat (or leave cold) individual 8 oz servings.
Adapted from Cure Joy‘s “Apple Cider Vinegar Detox Drink.”
Note: if you’re in a pinch, and don’t have time to boil, make the following in a sealed container and shake well:
- 1 c hot water
- 1 T ACV
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1 shake cayenne
- Ginger medallion
- Lemon wedge
- Dash of agave/honey