Want a yummy easy lunch with mostly pantry ingredients and basic staples? This recipe for Tuna Salad Stuffed Sweet Potatoes is not your mother’s tuna salad. (Sorry, Mom. Still think you make great tuna salads, but this is more of a “this is not your mom’s generations’ tuna salad.”) Protein packed and perfectly balanced, I got this idea for the stuff sweet potato from POPSUGAR‘s macro guide and tweaked Family Food on the Table recipe for a spinach tuna salad to be my own. Using mozzarella and Greek yogurt as the base for the tuna salad, it’s full of healthy fats and protein. I mixed in matchstick carrots (since they’re clearly one of my fridge staples), chopped spinach (ditto), mini cucumbers (sensing a trend?) and fresh lemon juice, pepper and garlic to taste. Placed in an easily baked microwave sweet potato while you assemble the salad, the sweet potato is then topped with avocado and sriracha. (Not sure what to do with potato insides? Try making a sweet potato crust.) Honestly, the best part is that you’re not insanely full after — winning!
Ingredients (serves 2).
- 1 med-large sweet potato, washed and scrubbed
- 1 can (4-5 oz) tuna, no salt added, drained
- 1 c spinach, chopped
- 1-2 mini cucumbers, deseeded and diced
- 1/3 c matchstick carrots, finely chopped
- 1/4 c non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 c shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/8 t garlic powder
- 1/8 t black pepper
- 1/4 avocado, diced
- Sriracha (optional)
- Extra lemon wedges (optional)
- Pierce the cleaned sweet potato liberally with a fork. Place on microwavabe plate and microwave for 4 min. Rotate and microwave again for 2-3 or until tender. *Carefully* slice potato in half (watch for the hot steam!) and let cool.
- Combine tuna through pepper in a bowl and mix well. Add more spices and/or lemon juice to taste.
- Once sweet potato’s still warm, but cool enough to handle, scoop out insides, leaving about a 1/4″ inch of insides left. (See photos for reference.)
- Divide tuna salad between two skins. Top each with 1/8 of avocado and drizzle with sriracha. Serve with an extra lime wedge (optional).
Tuna Salad adapted from Tuna Spinach Salad. Idea for stuffed sweet potato from Protein-Loaded Sweet Potato under “Lunch.”
Nutrition for 1 serving.
222 calories • 5.8 g fat (24%) • 16.8 g carbs (31%) • 24.3 g protein (45%) • 5 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.