Ever since moving to Boston, I really like Sweetgreen since you get a salad or bowl that’s healthy and doesn’t truly break the bank. But, I’d like Sweetgreen even more if I didn’t have to leave my apartment to grab a meal. Sometimes, you just want something a bit more instantaneous. Here’s my copycat version of the Hummus Tahina Salad — Falafel Salad with Cucumber Tahini Dressing. I bought some falafels from the freezer section, tossed in ingredients for a salad and whipped up a dressing. I liked SG’s idea of adding breadcrumbs to their salad, so I added some GF breadcrumbs to act like croutons. I also like making regular tahini dressing — raw tahini, lemon, agave and water — and modified this to be the cucumber tahini version. Almost just as easy, but this one requires a bit of blending to make the cucumbers and garlic silky smooth.
Ingredients (makes 1 salad).
For the Salad:
- 2 c red romaine leaves, chopped
- 1 c spinach, chopped
- 1/4 c matchstick carrots
- 1 mini cucumber, chopped
- 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 T banana peppers
- 1/8 c red onion, diced
- 1 falafel, chopped
- 1 T hummus of choice
- 1 t breadcrumbs of choice (I used GF panko)
- 1-2 T cucumber tahini dressing (see below)
For the Dressing (makes about 1/2 c or 8 T):
- 1 c cucumber, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 2-3 T raw tahini
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 t minced garlic
- 3 T warm water
- 1/2 t agave (optional)
- In a small blender or food processor, combine cucumber, 2 T tahini, lemon juice, garlic and water for dressing. Blend well until cucumbers are chopped and dressing is smooth. Adjust tahini and agave (optional) to taste.
- You can add more water to thin the dressing or start with 2 T to thicken.
- Store remaining dressing in the fridge for up to 1 wk.
- In a medium bowl, add ingredients for salad. Toss well to distribute dressing and hummus. Start with 1 T dressing and adjust to taste.
- Plate and enjoy!
Inspired by Sweetgreen‘s Hummus Tahina.