My mom has been raving about this lentil chili she made this past winter that called for smoked paprika. I keep seeing recipes call for this spice, and I came across a recipe for slow cooker burrito bowls, which — ding, ding, ding! — called for smoked paprika. Given that it’s been unseasonable cold here and that I wanted some meal prep for a busy start of the week, I pulled out the crock pot and made Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls. I totally want to make these with chicken next time, but I’ll need a bit more foresight to thaw the chicken from my freezer. Instead, I tossed in sweet potatoes and made these bowls with brown rice and black beans for a yummy dish. These have a risotto-like consistency and I found myself adding more homemade vegetable broth than expected. The smoked paprika pairs so well with the black beans and sweet potato; it gives the bowls a flavor similar to chorizo, but keeps it vegetarian.
Ingredients (serves 5 with 1½ c servings).
For the Bowl:
- 2 c vegetable broth
- 1 c uncooked brown rice
- 1 can (13.5 oz) diced tomatoes, no salt added — keep the liquid!
- 1 can (13.5 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced (I used 1/4 red and 1/4 orange)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 1½ t smoked paprika
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- Sliced avocado *
- Green onions *
- Chopped romaine lettuce *
- Baked tortilla chips *
- Fresh cilantro
- Plain Greek yogurt
- In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients for the burrito bowls. Mix well.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hrs or on low for 4-6 hrs. Stir 2-3 times to ensure the rice evenly cooks.
- You may need to add 1/4 to 1/2 c broth as needed to help the rice cook.
- I found this cooked like risotto and you needed to add more broth every 30-60 min near the last 1-2 hrs.
- Serve hot and top with desired toppings. (I used the starred toppings!)
Adapted from Amuse Your Bouche‘s “Slow Cooker Burrito Bowls.”
Nutrition for 1 serving (no toppings).
196 calories • 0.9 g fat (3%) • 50.2 g carbs (84%) • 7.7 g protein (13%) • 8.7 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.