Mustard Salmon with Roasted Veggies is such a great and quick mid-week dinner. This recipe will be added to the rotating arsenal. I saw a video for this on Facebook from Eating Well. It looked so easy and simple to make that I just had to try it. Since I don’t have a spice grinder and didn’t feel like buying more spices, I tried a marinade that our family friend, Maura, whisked together when we were in Florida. Just EVOO, Jack Daniel’s whole grain dijon mustard (soooo much flavor) and lemon juice. Asparagus, sweet potatoes and salmon are baked in the oven while you poach an egg. While you can skip the egg to make this a true “one pan” dinner, the yolk adds some saucy texture and more protein overall.
Ingredients (serves 4).
For the Mustard Salmon:
- 12 oz salmon, skin on *
- 2 t extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 1 T lemon juice
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
For the Veggies:
- 2 t light olive oil
- 1/4 t ground garlic
- 1 bunch asparagus, about 20 stalks
- 1 medium sweet potato
For the Eggs: *
- 8 c water
- 1 T white vinegar
- 4 eggs
* Note: if you want to make this a true one pan dinner, use 1 lb (16 oz) of salmon and divide into four 4 oz. servings. Skip the eggs for the added saucepan, but they do add more protein and flavor!
For the Salmon & Veggies.
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Line baking sheet with foil.
- Whisk together EVOO, dijon, mustard and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Slice asparagus stalks into 1″ pieces and sweet potatoes into 1/2″ cubes.
- In a ziplock, combine all ingredients for veggies and toss well so veggies are coated in oil and garlic. Spread out onto baking sheet and cook for 10-12 min. Remove from oven and reduce oven temp to 350º F.
- Move veggies to each side and add salmon to middle of baking sheet. Evenly coat pieces with all of mustard sauce. Bake 12-15 min or until salmon’s opaque throughout and veggies are tender.
- Divide veggies and salmon. Add poached egg and lightly salt egg (optional).
- Top with red pepper flakes (optional).
For the Poached Egg.
- When the salmon and veggies have 10 min left to bake, fill an 8 quart sauce pan with water and white vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, crack an egg into a small ramekin or bowl.
- Once water is boiling, reduce to a simmer and gently stir water to create a soft whirlpool.
- Pour egg from ramekin into slowly swirling, simmering water. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cook 4-5 min for a runny yolk or 6-7 min or a set yolk.
- Remove from water with a slotted spoon and serve with salmon and veggies (recipe below).
Adapted from Eating Well‘s “Coriander & Lemon-Crusted Salmon with Asparagus Salad & Poached Egg.”