I’m not even sure what I threw together last night, but this was a great impromptu dinner. Roasted some veggies, already had grilled chicken from Whole Foods, might as well grab an avocado . . . and Grilled Chicken Buddha Bowls with Roasted Veggies are born. Yesterday was a bit chilly and grey and using the oven didn’t sound like the worst idea, even though it’ll be July this weekend. I tossed sweet potatoes, chickpeas and kale in rosemary, garlic and paprika. After roasting in the oven, the sweet potatoes were tender, while the chickpeas and kale were crispy with a crunch. The kale was almost like kale chips, which is never a bad thing. Paired with that perfectly charred taste from the grilled chicken and creamy avocados, these bowls hit the spot. Although grain-free, I’m still calling this a buddha bowl since all these pieces came together in that perfectly assembled way.
Ingredients (serves 4).
For the Veggies:
- 1¼ c chickpeas
- 3 c sweet potato, cut into chunks
- 2 t oil with a high smoke index
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t paprika
- 1/2 t dried rosemary
- 8-10 large Tuscan kale leaves, chopped
- 1 t EVOO
- 1/8 t salt
For the Bowl:
- 2 c grilled chicken, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 lemon wedges
- Sriracha or hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a large ziplock bag, add chickpeas through rosemary. Seal the bag and toss well. Pour veggies onto baking sheet and roast for 15 min, stirring halfway through.
- In the same bag used to toss the potatoes and chickpeas, add chopped kale leaves and EVOO. Seal bag so no air is in it and “massage” kale through the bag. Open the bag to check and see if kale is tender and covered in spices. If not, keep massaging. Once kale is tender, set aside.
- Note: you can do this in a bowl with clean hands, but this keeps the dish count down and your hands clean!
- After the 15 min, stir veggies again and add kale and salt. Bake for 5-6 min, again stirring halfway through. Kale and chickpeas should be crispy and sweet potatoes cooked through.
- Plate 1-1¼ c veggies with 1/2 c diced grilled chicken and 1/4 avocado slices. Drizzle with fresh lemon juice and sriracha.
- You don’t had to add hot sauce. I tend to like things with a kick and it adds more color.
- Dig in and enjoy!
Nutrition for 1 bowl.
326 calories • 11.3 g fat (35%) • 23.7 g carbs (33%) • 22.7 g protein (32%) • 0.3 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.