Want literally the easiest way to make pickles ever? I tried this two summers ago and I’m surprised I haven’t posted this sooner. Easy Fridge Pickles! You skip boiling the brining solution and just add everything straight to the jar. Top sandwiches or eat straight out of the jar. I’ve made dill pickles, sweet pickles, spicy pickles. They’re so easy to tailor and fun to make.
Ingredients (makes 2 c).
- 2 mini cucumbers (or 1 English cucumber)
- 1 t minced garlic (or 3-4 whole, peeled garlic cloves)
- 1 t mustard seeds
- 1 t whole black peppers
- 1/2 t sweetener, i.e. agave, honey or sugar
- White vinegar
- Slice cucumber into either quarters for spears or into rounds (pictured). Pack cucumber slices as tightly as you can into sealable jar without smashing slices, so they’re about 1/2″ from the top. Add spices to jar.
- Starting with 1/4 c, add equal parts vinegar and water. Continue adding equal parts water to vinegar until cucumber are fully covered. Seal jar and shake well to mix.
- Refrigerate at least 24 hrs — 48 hrs is preferable.
- Store in fridge for 1-2 wks.
- When pickles are gone, you can save brining solution for one more batch. After the second batch is complete, discard and start again fresh.
- Once ready, dig in and enjoy!
Optional Variations and Add-Ins.
- Traditional Dill Pickles: add 5-6 sprigs of fresh dill to above
- Spicy Pickles: add 1-2 whole serrano, jalapeño or other spicy peppers to above or
- Red pepper flakes
- Sweet Pickles: increase sugar for a sweeter pickle
- Other ideas: