I’ve been taking a little hiatus from posting — midterms, the 4th, a summer cold . . . Here’s a recipe for Blueberry Chia Protein Muffins that I made to get me through midterms two weeks ago. I swear I had a childhood blueberry muffin recipe that used orange juice and orange zest. Obviously I had to incorporate that orange flavor into my TIU muffin adaption. It’s subtle and complements the blueberries perfectly.
Ingredients (makes 12 muffins with 1-2 muffin servings).
- 1 c oats
- 3/4 c plant-based vanilla protein powder of choice
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 T chia
- 1/8 t salt
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 T of fresh orange juice
- 1 t orange zest
- 1 t agave
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 c blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a muffin pan with cooking spray or line with muffin papers.
- Add oats to a blender or food processor and grind into a fine flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash banana with a fork. Whisk in egg. Add oat flour and remaining ingredients except blueberries, and stir well until a smooth batter forms.
- Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin tins or liners.
- Bake for 18-22 min or until firm and toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Have 1-2 muffins for breakfast or a snack.
Adapted from Tone It Up‘s Blueberry Chia Muffins for their Bikini Series.
Please note: I am NOT endorsed by TIU nor have I received compensation for this post. I just really enjoy following their free weekly schedules and daily moves. If that’s something you’re interested in, I’d highly recommend checking out TIU for their workouts!
Nutrition for 1 muffin:
81 calories • 2.1 g fat (21%) • 10.7 g carbs (47%) • 7.3 g protein (32%) • 1.5 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used (i.e. protein powder) and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to show how these muffins fare compared to non-protein ones.