I really like farro. It’s a chewy grain that’s a nice break from my usual brown rice or gluten-free quinoa options. Farro is high in protein, fiber and vitamins, while low in natural sugar and fat. Plus, it counts as a whole grain. Chipotle has been pretty hit or miss here in Boston (emphasis on miss), and I’ve been craving the flavors of their cilantro lime rice. After making a run to the new Trader Joe’s, I picked up some farro, cilantro and limes and tossed it together for the grain base. I couldn’t decide if I wanted my usual, go-to sriracha topping, so I made one way with it and another with fresh strawberries for an end-of-summer touch. Either way, this Cilantro Lime Farro Bowls with Grilled Chicken are a fun summer take on Buddha bowls.
Ingredients (serves 4).
- 1 c farro, uncooked
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Salt to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled
- 1-2 scallions, chopped
- 12 strawberries, sliced (sweet version)
- Sriracha to taste (spicy/savory version)
- Cook farro according to package directions. Drain and add to a medium bowl. Toss with fresh cilantro and lime juice. Add salt as needed and toss well.
- Plate a heaping 1/2 c of the farro mixture. Top with half of each grilled chicken breast, sliced lengthwise. Add 1/4 of the avocado slices. Top with chopped scallions.
- For a sweet version, add chopped strawberries or to be spicy/savory, drizzle with sriracha.
- Add extra lime juice and cilantro to taste (optional).
Nutrition for 1 serving (excluding sriracha or strawberries).
284 calories • 7.8 g fat (25%) • 30.5 g carbs (44%) • 20.8 g protein (30%) • 0.7 g sugar
These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.