Don’t hate it until you try it: Raspberry Açai Cauliflower Smoothie. I’m a sucker for trying new food items, especially when I see these unsweetened açai purée packets continually pop up on multiple nutritionist recommended grocery lists. Açai (“ah-sigh-EE” but don’t even ask me to correctly pronounce this; I still butcher the name) is chuck full of nutrients and antioxidants due to its deep purple color — similar to blueberries and blackberries. Look for unsweetened packets in the freezer section making them easy to store and easy to have on hand. You can find them at Trader Joe’s for $4.49 or Whole Foods for $6.99 (at least that’s what it’s going for in Boston proper aka Beacon Hill). Since the purée packets are unsweetened, I added banana and frozen pineapple for some natural sugar. Frozen cauliflower adds nutrients and texture, and you can’t even tell there’s cauliflower in this thing.
Ingredients (serves 1).
- 1 unsweetened açai purée packet (try Trader Joe’s or Sambazon at Whole Foods)
- 1/4 c frozen raspberries
- 1/4 c frozen cauliflower
- 1/3 banana (frozen or not)
- 2-3 frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/4 c vanilla skyr yogurt
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Dash of cinnamon
- In a blender, combine all ingredients, adding more or less milk as needed for desired consistency.
- Blend until smooth. Pour into your favorite glass.
Nutrition for 1 smoothie.
214 calories • 6.8 g fat (29%) • 28.4 g carbs (54%) • 9.4 g protein (18%) • 13.5 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.