This is actually like porridge! I’ve been a little oatmeal’ed and overnight oats’ed out, but after all these brisk mornings, I wanted something with the same feel. You may be skeptical when mixing together flaxseed and chia seeds and nuts and coconut . . . but it is! Trust me. I was surprised too. I popped this concoction in the microwave thinking it wouldn’t absorb the milk and become fluffy quite like oatmeal does, but the result is like steel-cut oats or cream of wheat — just less gnarly and grainy; this Grain-Free Porridge with Fresh Figs has a much smoother and lighter finish. I had the last of my fresh figs left, so naturally I topped porridge with those and the some dried cranberries for a late summer, early fall feel.
Ingredients (serves 1).
- 1 T chopped walnuts *
- 7 whole raw almonds *
- 1 T flaxseed
- 1 T chia seeds
- 1 T coconut flakes
- 2 T plant-based vanilla protein powder
- 1 T unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
- 2-3 fresh figs, sliced
* NOTE: you can also swap walnuts and almonds for 1/3 c GF or old-fashioned oats. See last photo below.
- In a blender or small food processor, grind walnuts and almonds until they resemble a coarse, gritty flour. Transfer to a microwavable bowl with flaxseed, coconut, chia seeds, protein powder and cranberries. Mix well.
- Stir in almond milk or milk of choice until combined.
- Heat porridge for 2 min at full power. Stir well. If the consistency is too thick, add more milk as necessary.
- Top with sliced figs. Dust with extra coconut and cranberries (optional).
You can also double, triple, quadruple the recipe and store “porridge” in an airtight container after the first step. Scoop out 1/2 c per serving.
Nutrition for 1 serving.
340 calories • 19.4 g fat (40%) • 47.8 g carbs (44%) • 17 g protein (16%) • 22.9 g sugar
These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.
The completely grain-free version with figs and cranberries.
The version with 1/3 c oats swapped for almonds/walnuts. Topped with 2-3 sliced strawberries, 2 sliced figs & 1/4 of a Blueberry Cashew Perfect Bar.