One word: yum. I totally meant to make buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes because my nursing friend, Jen, would bring those to lunch all the time during clinical, but I went for the sweet potato mash last minute. I even brought leftovers to my parents and I didn’t think my mom was a big buffalo fan and even she approved. As much as I like blue cheese with these and my homemade (and lightened up!) blue cheese dressing, I feel like whenever I buy blue cheese, it just sits in my fridge. I’ve really been trying to buy groceries with the intent to use everything, so I just stuck with plain Greek yogurt to cut the spiciness of the hot sauce and add a little creaminess to the bowl. I also think these bowl are pretty well balance between healthy fats, protein and carbs. I didn’t always have these with avocado slices, but they just add an extra element of creaminess. For a game day, potluck or just meal prep, these Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Bowls are oh-so-good. (Or just make the slow cooker buff chick ahead of time or for salads, nachos, quesadillas, baked potatoes . . .)
Ingredients (serves 4).
For the Buffalo Chicken:
- 1 lb chicken (I used tenders)
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1/2 c hot sauce like Frank’s Red Hot
- 3 celery stalks, diced (about 1 c)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 onion, diced
- Black pepper
For the Bowls:
- 3 small sweet potatoes, scrubbed and peeled
- 1-2 T unsweetened almond milk
- 4 T plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 c cauliflower rice
- 1-2 extra celery stalks for ribbons
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- Extra hot sauce
- Lightly cook your slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients for chicken and toss well so chicken is evenly coated. Cook on high for 1-2 hrs or on low for 3-4 hrs.
- If using another cut of chicken, such as breasts or thighs instead of tenders, you may have to increase the cooking time.
- Remove chicken and ensure it’s cooked through before shredding with two forks. Place shredded chicken back into crockpot and toss with the cooked veggies and juices. Cook on low for an additional 20-30 min.
- Meanwhile, chop peeled sweet potatoes into 1″ pieces and place in a microwave safe bowl. Cover. Microwave on full power for 5 min. *Carefully* — watch for steam! — remove cover and mix potatoes. If unable to easily pierce with a fork, microwave on high for an additional 4-5 min. Mash sweet potatoes, adding 1-2 T of milk of choice and salt to taste. Should yield just over 2 c mashed.
- Use a vegetable peeler and create celery ribbons.
- Plate 2/3 c buffalo chicken with 1/2 c mashed sweet potato mashed and 1/4 c cauliflower rice.
- Top 1 T plain Greek yogurt and as many celery ribbons as you want. If using, add 1/4 of avocado slices (optional). Add a few dashes of hot sauce as needed.
Inspired by my Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats and BBQ Chicken Sweet Potato Skins.
Nutrition for 1 bowl with 1 T Greek yogurt & 1/4 avocado.
344 calories • 8.2 g fat (21%) • 38.1 g carbs (43%) • 31.9 g protein (36%) • 9 g fiber • 12.3 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.
1 thought on “The Best (Healthy) Buffalo Chicken & Sweet Potatoes”