It’s Friday, so I’m celebrating with a little quick and healthy ‘za. I feel like the weekend rolls around and we all think we’ve “earned” a little indulgence for the weekend. This Tortilla Pizza with Basil & Sausage is just the way to indulge without feeling gross. It requires ingredients you probably already have on hand like whole wheat tortillas, chicken sausage (I always store some in my freezer), tomato sauce and parmesan cheese — it’s that easy. You can obviously swap out the meat for veggies, but don’t make the pizzas too heavy. For a serving size of two tortilla pizzas, it’s just the right amount of pizza without feeling overly stuffed.
Ingredients (serves 1).
- 2 low-carb whole wheat tortillas like Trader Joe’s
- 2-4 T marinara of choice *
- 1 link chicken sausage
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves, whole or torn
- 2-4 T shredded parmesan
* TIP: I always look for sauces that have no added sugar with the new nutrition labels or that no sugar listed in the ingredients. This is also another excuse to easily make your own sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- On a pizza stone or baking sheet, add tortillas. Spoon 1-2 T of sauce on to each tortilla going out as far as you’d like for your desired crust.
- Top each with half a link of sausage, fresh basil leaves and 1-2 T parmesan.
- Bake for 10-15 min until tortillas’ edges are crispy, parm has melted and pizzas are fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Top with red pepper flakes and additional parmesan (both optional).
- Slice or enjoy as is. Enjoy!
Nutrition for 1 serving (2 tortilla pizzas).
278 calories • 12 g fat (32%) • 27.3 g carbs (33%) • 28.6 g protein (35%) • 3.6 g sugar
These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.