I found these cute, petite rainbow carrots at Trader Joe’s a few weeks ago and knew I wanted to make a veggie roast. The summer I was in Munich, it was quite unseasonably cold and rainy. My friend, Katie (aka Katinka), roasted Bavarian pork sausage, apples and potatoes. This is my take on it: Roasted Rainbow Veggies with Apple Chicken Sausage. The leeks get crispy like Brussels sprouts and the carrots, zucchini and sweet potatoes are tender after the roasting. The dried thyme makes your kitchen smell AWESOME (emphasis on awesome clearly), and the apple sausage is a sweet, savory addition to balance out the garlicky cauliflower mashed potatoes and sweetly cooked veggies. This may be the easy one pan dish and the quintessential fall meal.
Ingredients (serves 4).
- 1 T light olive oil
- 1/2 large leek, washed and sliced into halfmoons using the white/light green parts
- 1 package (1 lb) rainbow petite carrots, sliced at an angle into 2″ pieces
- 1/2 sweet potato, chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 t dried thyme
- 1 t garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 package (4 links) apple chicken sausage, sliced at an angle into four pieces like Brat Hans
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line roasting pan with foil.
- In a ziplock, toss veggies and oil. Pour onto pan. Sprinkle with 1 t dried thyme and 1/2 t garlic power. Roast for 20 min.
- Toss vegetables and sprinkle with remaining garlic and thyme. Roast for an additional 20 min.
- Toss veggies once again, adding sausage. Roast about 10 min until sausage is hot throughout.
- Dish up 4 pieces of sausage (i.e. 1 original link) with 1/4 of veggies. Serve with 3/4 c of cauliflower mashed potatoes.
Nutrition for 1 serving (1 sausage and 1/4 of veggies).
235 calories • 10.4 g fat (39%) • 20.6 g carbs (34%) • 16 g protein (27%) • 4.3 g fiber • 10.5 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.