If you’ve seen these easy bagels floating around social media, they do not disappoint. In honor of it being FriYAY, here’s a bagel recipe to brighten your day. My nursing friend, Jen, tipped me off to Skinnytaste’s new recipe. I loved that Skinnytaste’s is no boil one (because doesn’t everyone want to skip a step?) and comes together in a matter of minutes. I made the recipe even easier by using self-rising flour and Greek yogurt, just like that 2-ingredient flatbread. The bagels still rise and are fluffy, have that golden edge from the egg wash, but with a bit of a tangy flavor. For how quick and easy these are (and healthier!), I think No Boil Bagels are definitely worth that fresh bagel feeling you can get at home.
Ingredients (makes 1/2 dozen; serving 1 bagel).
- 1½ c self-rising flour
- 1½ c non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg white, beaten for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, yogurt and salt until well incorporated; the dough will be crumbly.
- Flour hands and knead dough in the bowl until dough is tacky, not sticky, and does not leave residue on your hands. Add pinches of flour as needed if dough remains sticky; if dough is too dry, add small spoonfuls of extra yogurt.
- Divide dough in half. Divide each half into thirds; there should be 6 separate balls of dough of equal size. On a clean surface, roll each ball of dough into 1″ thick ropes and join ends together to form a bagel. (I smoothed the “seams” with my finger.)
- Place bagels on baking sheet and brush evenly with egg wash. Sprinkle with desired toppings.
- For Everything Bagel: after the egg wash, sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.
- For Cinnamon Raisin: mix in 1-2 T raisins to half of the dough. After the egg wash, dust with cinnamon sugar.
- Sesame (not shown): after the egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake on the top rack of oven for 22-25 min or until bagels are firm and browned.
- Store in an air-tight container for 3-7 days or in the freezer pre-sliced, individually wrapped in Saran wrap and in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. (Slicing prior to freezing is key!)
Adapted from Skinnytaste’s “Easy Bagel Recipe.”
Nutrition for 1 bagel (1 of 6) without toppings.
132 calories • 0 g fat (0%) • 24.2 g carbs (76%) • 7.8 g protein (24%) • 1 g fiber • 1.8 g sugar
(For comparison, a plain Dunkin Donuts bagel has 310 calories, 1 g fat, 64 g carbs, 11 g protein, 4 g fiber and 7 g sugar.)
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.