Can we talk about these color? Ermahgawd, this soup was almost too pretty to eat. Having a cold, this warm and hearty veggies made Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Soup hit the spot. The only downside to these beautiful, rainbow veggies is that the purple carrots and potatoes give the broth a purple, rosy hue, but I’m not complaining. For not knowing what I was going to cook this past Sunday, this came together quite nicely. The soup is basically veggies, Italian chicken sausage, some Italian spices and homemade veggie stock. Let it cook and simmer in a slow cooker until the potatoes and carrots are tender. (In the market for a new slow cooker? Check out Reviews.com for The Best Slow Cooker.)
Ingredients (serves 6).
- 6 large rainbow carrots, peeled and sliced
- 12 baby rainbow potatoes, cut into quarters or eighths
- 1½ c haricot verts, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/4 onion, sliced
- 4 links Italian chicken sausage, sliced (look for options with low sodium)
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1½ t Italian spices
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 4 c vegetable stock
- 2 T cornstarch (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Combine carrots, potatoes, haricot vests, onion, sausage, garlic, spices, tomatoes and stock in slow cooker. Toss well.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hrs.
- Optional: Mix together 1/2 c stock (or water) with cornstarch. Shake well and stir into soup. Reduce to low for 15-30 min before serving.
- Dish up 2¼ to 2½ c servings. Salt batch or servings to taste.
Inspired by Sweet Peas and Saffron‘s “Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Stew.”
Nutrition for 1 of 6 servings.
250 calories • 4.7 g fat (17%) • 39.4 g carbs (62%) • 13.6 g protein (21%) • 5.4 g fiber • 13.5 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.