Is there anything better than banana bread in the oven? I was debating if I should go the peanut butter and chocolate chip route or honey walnut, and I settled on the latter (which just means I’ll have to save some bananas to bake up a new kind!). I loved the crunch of the walnuts and floral notes that the honey added. Whilst best straight out of the oven, the loaf freezes well to be enjoyed at a later date, like when you’re skiing up in Vermont. Using Soul Bee powered honey, this Honey Walnut Banana Bread is a fun take on your standard loaf.
Ingredients (makes 1 loaf; serves 12).
- 2½-3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 c raw turbinado sugar
- 1/8 c honey powder (like Soul Bee)
- 3/4 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 c almond flour
- 1¼ c old-fashioned oats (gluten-free)
- 1 c flour *
- 1/3 c + 1 T chopped walnuts
- Honey flakes to top (optional — like Soul Bee’s flakes)
* Substitute for 1 c oat flour to be gluten-free.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease a loaf/bread pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add bananas through flour and mix well. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour batter into greased or lined loaf pan and top with 1 T of extra walnuts and sprinkle with honey flakes (optional).
- Bake for 35-45 min until bread is firm, crunchy and golden on top.
- Cool completely before slicing to let bread firm up.
Adapted from my Gluten-Free Banana Bread.
Nutrition for 1 of 12 slices.
191 calories • 7.4 g fat (33%) • 27.6 g carbs (55%) • 5.5 g protein (11%) • 3.1 g fiber • 9 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.