Need some feel good food post St. Patrick’s Day boozing? This’ll do the trick, but don’t let the green fool you; there’s nothing that tastes “green” about this. Between midterms and feeling under the weather, I meant to post this on March 17th in honor of St. Patty’s Day, but . . . life — next thing, you know the weekend as flown by! I love this smoothie so much from Tone It Up‘s 5 Day Detox that I’ve incorporated the tweaked version into my weekly repertoire. I’d never have thought that adding a whole piece of peeled ginger root would blend as well as it does AND add such spicy flavor. If I don’t have coconut water, I add almond milk to the mix, and it turns out just find and a little creamier. Trust me: this Cleansing Ginger Smoothie is one you want to sip again and again.
Ingredients (serves 1).
- 1/2” piece ginger root, peeled
- Generous handful of baby spinach (or torn kale without stems)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/3 c frozen mango
- 2 T vanilla protein powder like LivWell (optional) *
- 1 c coconut water (or swap for unsweetened almond milk)
* Please Note: I have received products from LivWell, but I only post recipes with things that I have made and loved myself. Sharing is caring, right? Use the code EDSR10 for 10% off.
- Toss everything in a blender and blend well. Add ice or more liquid as needed. Blender well until spinach and ginger are well incorporated.
- Pour into your favorite glass. Top with coconut flakes and ground ginger.
- Grab a straw and enjoy!
Adapted from Tone It Up‘s 5 Day Detox Plan.
Nutrition for 1 smoothie using coconut water and protein powder.
200 calories • 1.6 g fat (7%) • 36.3 g carbs (69%) • 12.4 g protein (24%) • 3 g fiber • 24 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.