This is a meatless meal prep recipe that I can’t believe I haven’t posted sooner, but midterms happened and life. . ., but this is one of those recipes that you’re bummed when your leftovers are gone. I love the chewiness and whole-grain nature of farro, and it’s quite easy to prepare. I had leftover rainbow carrots, haricot verts (think green bean’s skinnier cousin) and rainbow potatoes from slow cooker Italian sausage soup. Roasted in the oven with a little Salz und Pfeffer, rosemary, red pepper flakes and garlic was the right choice. Toss with farro, pistachios, dried cranberries and a quick “dressing” of lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Then, you have the perfect Roasted Vegetable Farro Bowls with Cranberries and Pistachios. It’s tart and fresh with the vinaigrette, savory from the veggies and full of texture thanks to the farro, pistachios and dried cranberries.
Ingredients (makes 6 c; serves 4-6).
For the Veggies:
- 4-5 rainbow carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 onion, sliced
- 6 oz haricot verts, sliced into 2″ pieces
- 4 small rainbow potatoes, sliced
- Dried rosemary
- Ground garlic
- Red pepper flakes
For the Farro Bowl:
- 1½ c farro, uncooked
- 1/3 c whole pistachios, shelled and unsalted
- 1/3 c dried cranberries, unsweetened
- 1/3 lemon, juiced
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 t extra virgin olive oil
- Baby spinach, chopped (optional — for more of a salad)
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line roasting pan with foil.
- Toss carrots, onions, haricot vests and potatoes in roasting pan. Lightly coat veggies with cooking spray and sprinkle with rosemary, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes. Toss well. Roast 40-45 min until veggies are tender, tossing once or twice during that time.
- When 15 min left for the veggies, cook farro according to package directions.
- Combine cooked farro, veggies, pistachios, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and EVOO in a large bowl. Toss well.
- To serve:
- For a meal: plate 1½ c (heaping) of farro mixture (serves 4 — pictured)
- As a “salad”: plate 1½ c chopped baby spinach in a bowl or dish and top with 1 c (heaping) of farro mixture (serves 6)
Nutrition for 1 c of 6 total of veggies and farro excluding spinach.
243 calories • 2.8 g fat (9%) • 56 g carbs (81%) • 7.3 g protein (10%) • 9.7 g fiber • 10 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.