This is my new favorite tea. But really. It’s easy to make and bursting with spice. I’ve been making a variation of this tea since the New Year, and I think I finally perfected the recipe in the last few weeks. I’ve been sipping on cups of tea as is, with some almond milk for a latte-like treat or in addition my plain, black coffee a little coconut creamer in the mornings for a dash of flavor and depth (add 1-3 teaspoons!). Ready in 15 minutes, you’ll be so excited to sip on some homemade Spicy Ginger Tea.
Ingredients (makes 8 c; serves 6-8).
- 8 c water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3″ ginger root, skin on and sliced
- 4-6 whole peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
- Dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pinch ground turmeric
- 1 T turbinado sugar (optional, but it cuts the spice in just the right way)
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan or pot. If you want a spicier take, add 6 peppercorns and/or and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and continue simmering 10-15 min. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Carefully strain the liquid (optional, but recommended), saving the ginger and cinnamon stick for future use — see notes.
- To serve:
- Tea: 1 to 1½ c, hot as is; you can add hot water to cut the “spiciness” of the tea
- Latte: combine 1/4 to 1/3 c almond milk or milk of choice and 2/3 c to 3/4 c of tea in a mason jar or sealable jar. Shake vigorously until a foam forms. Once milk is frothed and foamy, transfer to mug and microwave to heat.
- Store tea in the fridge for up to 7 days in a sealed container.
- Sip and enjoy!
Notes: Store ginger root and cinnamon stick in the freezer for the next use. When ready for a new batch, add ginger root and cinnamon stick directly from freezer with 4 c water, 3 cloves, 2-3 peppercorns, 1-2 t sugar and dash of turmeric and cayenne. Follow instructions as above to have same strength as original batch.
Inspired by my Ginger Turmeric Latte.
Nutrition for ENTIRE BATCH, i.e. 8 c of tea made with 1 T brown sugar.
70 calories • 0 g fat (0%) • 16.8 g carbs (100%) • 0 g protein (0%) • 0 g fiber • 12 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.