If you like grits, this Savory Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl reminds me a heck of a lot like cheesy grits. I’ve been meaning to make a savory version of oatmeal since my oat recipes are saturated with sweet options for either hot oatmeal or cold overnight oats. Since I haven’t posted an oats recipe in a few months, and this one seems worthy to break the hiatus. It’s cheesy, yolky, and just a bit spicy. Plus, it sticks to your ribs and keeps you satisfied all morning long.
Ingredients (serves 1).
For the Oats:
- 1/2 c old-fashioned oats
- 1 c unsweetened almond milk (or neutral milk of choice)
- 0.5 oz (1/2 slice) cheddar cheese, chopped into small cubes
- 1/4 c spinach, chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
For the Bowl:
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- 1 egg cooked to liking
- Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Red pepper flakes
- Microwave oats, milk, salt and pepper for 1.5 min on 50% power. Stir in spinach and cheese. Microwave for 1.5-2 min on full power. Spinach should be wilted, and the cheese should be melted.
- If cooking stovetop, stir in spinach and cheese right before removing oats from heat to allow spinach to wilt and cheese to melt.
- Top oats with an egg cooked to your liking and avocado slices.
- Drizzle with EVOO and garnish with red pepper flakes.
Inspired by Real Simple‘s “Savory Oatmeal with Spinach and Poached Eggs.”
Nutrition for 1 bowl.
375 calories • 20.6 g fat (48%) • 33.9 g carbs (35%) • 17.3 g protein (18%) • 8.4 g fiber • 1.3 g sugar
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.