I’ve been itching to make this for a long time, and finally bit the bullet and found all these nuts and seeds. I gravitate toward overnight oats in the summer and for clinical days because it’s so easy to make when you have an early morning. Loni Jane’s version did not disappoint; her all nuts and seed take on bircher muesli is a refreshing break from oatmeal. I enjoy my grain-free porridge, but this is much chewier, crunchy and all-around nutty. I swapped sultana (dried grapes), mango and cacao nibs for dried cranberries, since that’s what I had. If you treat this like overnight oats or granola, this is definitely up your alley. I hesitate to use “superfoods,” but Burcha (A Nuts & Seed Bircher Muesli) is really just full of whole foods and nuts, healthy fats and lots of fiber. This kept me full all morning at clinical with that satisfied-that-I-didn’t-overeat feeling. Literally count down the hours that I can have this for breakfast again!
Ingredients (makes 4 c; serves 8+).
- 1/4 c ground flaxseed
- 1/4 c gluten-free oats
- 1/2 c raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 c raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 c shredded coconut
- 1/2 c hemp seeds
- 1/2 c brown sesame seeds
- 1/2 c chia seeds
- 1/2 c unsweetened dried cranberries
- Combine all ingredients in a jar and mix well.
- Store in the pantry or freezer.
- Toppings: add in place of granola to top oatmeal, overnight oats, yogurt or smoothies.
- Overnight Oats: soak 1/2 c of burcha mix like you would overnight oats in 1/2+ c almond milk or milk of choice with 1/8 c of yogurt.
- For a less “seedy” option, try 1/4 c oats to 1/4 c burcha with milk of choice and 1/8 c of yogurt for added creaminess.
- Add-In: I’ve also enjoyed mixing in 1 T of burcha into oats, yogurt, etc. like I would with chia or hemp.