Summer is about fresh veggie and herbs. I can’t think of a better way to use tomatoes, zucchini and basil than in a Summer Caprese Zoodle Bowls. This is a take on the simple mozzarella, tomato and basil Italian salad using ribboned zucchini as “noodles,” a mixture of creamy ricotta and fresh mozzarella, and succulent tomatoes. This would be so amazing with some crusty bread dipped in EVOO. It’s a deliciously different version of your classic caprese dish.
Ingredients (serves 3-4*).
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2-3 t light olive oil
- 1½ t minced garlic
- 1/2 c chopped peppers, frozen
- 1/2 c cauliflower, frozen
- 1 pint (about 35) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 c spinach
- 32-36 medium shrimp, cooked **
- 1/2 c fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella, diced (about 1/4 of the moz ball)
- 1/2 c part-skim ricotta
- Red pepper to garnish
* NOTE: when I divided into these into 4 bowls, the servings appeared on the lighter side, but I was actually satisfied. This is completely dependent on your eating habits and if you’re serving this bowl as is, with a salad, whole grain bread, etc.
** I cooked the shrimp by lightly dusting with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Baked for about 5 min at 400° F until opaque, pink and cooked throughout.
- Using a vegetable peeler, “ribbon” zucchini by shaving each one into long, even strips resembling wide lasagna noodles. Add zucchini to a colander and lightly sprinkle with salt to draw out excess water. Let stand until ready to use.
- In a sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, peppers, and cauliflower until soft and just beginning to brown, about 2-3 min.
- Fold in cherry tomatoes and cover about 5-6 min, stirring occasionally. Add 1 T of water as needed to help prevent from sticking and burning. Fold in spinach and sauté for an additional 2 min.
- Reduce to low heat and add cooked shrimp and zucchini ribbons, tossing well. Cook on low for 2-3 min.
- Remove from heat and toss in fresh basil.
- Meanwhile, mix together mozzarella and ricotta in a microwavable bowl. Heat on high for 30 sec intervals until melting and merging together. Dot noodles with melted cheese.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes and extra basil (I used dried basil, since I didn’t reserve any.)
- Spoon into bowls to serve.