First soup to celebrate the crisp autumn air! It only seems fair to kick off soup season with Smoky Corn, Red Pepper, & Brown Rice Soup. It’s deliciously “smoked” thanks to smoked paprika, but a hearty Mexican soup with corn, beans, and rice. Make this a one pot meal by easily cooking the rice right in the soup. This soup was so tasty with some nonfat Greek yogurt (swap for sour cream!), a little lime juice to brighten it, and some sweet potato chips to add a little sweet and salty to the smoky heartiness.
Ingredients (serves 8).
- 2 t light olive oil
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1½ bell peppers, diced (I used a mix of red and orange)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t paprika
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1 T tomato paste
- 6 c vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 c brown rice, dry
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans
- 1½ c frozen corn
- 1½ c frozen cauliflower, diced
- Salt to taste
- In a large soup pan, add oil and garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about 1 min.
- Add peppers, celery, and onion. Sauté until tender.
- Stir in smoked paprika through tomato paste. Continue to sauté veggies with spices until again fragrant, about 1-2 min.
- Pour in broth and mix in crushed tomatoes and rice. Bring soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer until rice is cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in kidney beans, corn, and cauliflower. Continue to simmer about 5-10 min until corn and cauliflower are tender. Remove from heat.
- Dish up 1½ c servings. Top with nonfat Greek yogurt and juice from a lime wedge and serve with sweet potato tortilla chips (all optional!).
Adapted from Savory‘s “Red Pepper and Corn Soup with Spanish Rice.”
Nutrition for 1 serving (1½ c) without toppings.
248 calories • 2.5 g fat (8%) • 52.3 g carbs (78%) • 9.3 g protein (14%) • 8.2 g fiber • 10.6 g sugar • 385 mg sodium
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.