I love a good “bowl.” I think it’s easy to prep and to grab on-the-go. I like using produce that’s in season and rainbow carrots and sweet potatoes definitely fall into this category. Root veggies absorb the minerals from the soil around them. Given their colorful nature, they’re packed with fiber, vitamins like vitamin A, and antioxidants. If you can do three things at once, these Roasted Root Veggie Bowls with Cilantro Pesto are definitely worth it. Roast the veggies while the lentils and quinoa cook. At the end, you have a flavorful bowl served warmed to combat winter’s chill and topped with a fun, different pesto.
Ingredients (serves 4).
For the Grains:
- 1/2 c quinoa, uncooked
- 1/2 c red lentils, uncooked
For the Veggies:
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 5-6 large rainbow carrots, peeled and sliced on a diagonal
- 1 T avocado oil
- 1 t black garlic powder
- 2 c spinach
For the Pesto:
- 10 walnut halves
- 2 c cilantro (if you’re feeling lazy, toss in the leaves and stems!)
- 1 T avocado oil
- 1/8 t salt
- 1/2 t nutritional yeast (optional or swap for grated parmesan if not vegan/dairy-free)
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper (optional).
- For the grains, combine quinoa and lentils with water and cook per package directions. Fluff with a fork and let cool.
- On a baking sheet or roasting pan, combine potatoes and carrots. Toss with oil and dust with black garlic. Roast for 20 min. Remove from heat and toss veggies, roasting for an additional 20 min. With 5 min remaining, evenly distribute spinach over the veggies and continue roasting until wilted.
- Meanwhile, combine ingredients for pesto in a high-speed blender or food processor. Depending on the size of your apparatus, I added cilantro in three bunches. Add additional oil (or try water to thin) as needed.
- To serve, dish up 2/3 c cooked quinoa & lentils, 1/4 of the roasted veggies, and 2 T cilantro pesto.
- If meal prepping, don’t top with pesto until day of.
- You’ll have about 1/3 c extra of the lentils and quinoa leftover.
Nutrition for 1 serving.
320 calories • 12.7 g fat (40%) • 33.5 g carbs (46%) • 10.1 g protein (14%) • 5.9 g fiber • 2 g sugar • 192 mg sodium
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.
1 thought on “Hearty Roasted Veggie Bowls for Winter”