Do you ever finish a meal and then think, “Wait, is there more?” That’s how this meal was because it’s that good, and another meal prep option. Black garlic is at the heart of this bringing an umami flavor into play. Simply roast the vegetables and chicken, while quinoa and lentils cook. Assembly is easy, making Garlic Chicken with Veggies, Quinoa, and Lentils a fantastic dinner or a nice lunch on the go.
Ingredients (serves 4).
For the Chicken:
- 1 lb (16 oz) chicken breasts, butterflied if too thick
- Black garlic powder *
For the Veggies:
- 1/2 zucchini, quartered and chopped
- 1 c onion, sliced into half-moons
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1″ pieces
- 2 c kale, loosely chopped or ripped
- 1/2 c frozen peas
- Extra black garlic powder *
For the Bowl:
- 1/2 c green lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 c quinoa, rinsed
* NOTE: the black garlic season I used has 190 mg of salt per 1/4 t. I didn’t add any additional salt because I felt it was already salted to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Combine lentils and quinoa and cook according to package directions.
- Place chicken breasts in a roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Generously season with black garlic. Bake for 10-12 min until breasts are cooked through. Set aside chicken breasts.
- Increase oven to 425ºF. In the same roasting pan, toss zucchini, onion, and pepper. Roast for 10-15 min. Toss veggies and add frozen peas and kale. Generously sprinkle with extra black garlic. Roast for an additional 5 min so kale is wilted and veggies are beginning to brown.
- To serve, dish up 3/4 c lentils and quinoa (there will be some leftover!), 1/2 c veggies, and 4 oz of roasted chicken. Add hot sauce for a kick (not shown, but delicious).
Nutrition for 1 bowl (1 of 4 servings).
342 calories • 5.4. g fat (14%) • 30.5 g carbs (36%) • 43.2 g protein (50%) • 10.9 g fiber • 5.3 g sugar • 459 mg sodium
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.