I’ve been meaning to try buckwheat and finally found some in the grocery store. Buckwheat isn’t actually a wheat, but a seed. It’s known for its gluten-free properties, higher protein content compared to other grains, and amino acids. As is, buckwheat has an interesting crunch and an almost nutty flavor. I decided to try it for an oatmeal substitute and created Banana Cinnamon Buckwheat Porridge. By “grinding” buckwheat and adding in my caramelized banana trick, you have this thick, hearty porridge. The banana naturally sweetens as cinnamon adds an extra layer of flavor.
Ingredients (serves 1).
- 1/4 c buckwheat
- 1 t chia seeds
- 1 t ground flax *
- 1 t brown sesame seeds *
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 c unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 small banana
*NOTE: adding these ingredients is completely optional. Trying to use up what’s in my pantry!
- Optional: pulse buckwheat, chia seeds, flax, and sesame seeds in a blender or food processor to form a finer grain mixture.
- In a microwavable bowl, add buckwheat through salt and mix well. Stir in 1/2 c of milk of choice. Top with sliced bananas.
- Microwave at 50% power for 1 min 30 sec. If milk is absorbed, add an addition 1/4 c milk and stir. Microwave again at full power for 1 min 30 sec.
- Carefully remove hot bowl and add more milk for desired consistency. Banana should be fragrant and caramelized.
- Sprinkle with extra cinnamon and enjoy!