I’ve been sipping on smoothies since the COVID-19 pandemic started. Thanks to staying connected via social media with a family I babysit, I saw they’ve been sipping on green smoothies packed with lemon, celery, and greens. Inspired by theirs, I experimented with similar ingredients and landed on what I think is the perfect Green Smoothie. It’s tart, while still sweet and totally refreshing. You can’t even taste the spinach or celery thanks to the banana. You get all the benefits from citrus with the clementine and lemon. Ginger adds an extra layer with its zesty bite. I wouldn’t use this as a meal, unless you add something more substantial like milk, yogurt, or protein of some sort. However, it’s a good side or accompaniment and another way to add in fresh fruits and veggies. I’m not a supporter of “drinking your meals,” but I do love a good smoothie as a snack or to recharge after a workout.
Ingredients (serves 1).
- 1/2 banana, frozen
- 1 kiwi, peeled — save a slice to garnish!
- 1/4 lemon, peeled
- 2 celery stalks, loosely chopped
- 1 c spinach, packed
- 1 clementine, peeled
- 1/2” piece ginger root, peeled
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 1 c water
- Coconut flakes to garnish (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a blender, adding more water and/or ice as needed. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a glass. Sprinkle with coconut flakes and garnish with a kiwi slice (optional).
Like smoothies? Try more here!
Nutrition for 1 smoothie.
160 calories • 0.8 g fat (4%) • 38.5 g carbs (88%) • 3.5 g protein (8%) • 6.4 g fiber • 22.3 g sugar • 45 mg sodium
* These are estimates based off specific products I used and how I entered ingredients in a fitness tracker. This is completely subjective and used to give a rough nutritional estimate.