I haven’t posted in while partly because I’ve been adjusting to working full-time as a nurse practitioner and partly because sometimes you need a break to find joy again. These Oat Muffins are worth coming out of a recipe hiatus. They’re a spin on your classic bran muffins, but easier to make since I, for one, am more likely to have oats on hand instead of bran. Mix in walnuts, cranberries, and coconut for a heartier option. Using unsweetened applesauce and vanilla skyr yogurt, you can’t even tell these muffins are oil-free. Enjoy as breakfast or as a snack. (Ted even added chocolate chips and almond butter.) They’re so tasty that before you know it, you’re left with two muffins to use for photos–oops!
Ingredients (makes 14 muffins).
- 1 c oats
- 3/4 c oat flour
- 3/4 c almond flour
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 T cinnamon
- 1/4 c turbinado sugar
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1/3 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 c vanilla skyr yogurt (like siggi’s)
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/4 c chopped walnuts
- 1/4 c unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1/4 c unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line muffin tin with liners (optional) or grease muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix oats through cinnamon.
- Add wet ingredients, sugar through vanilla and mix well until well incorporated and smooth batter forms.
- Fold in walnuts, cranberries, and coconut.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin, filling wells 3/4 of the way.
- Bake 12-15 min or until toothpick comes out clean and muffin tops are just beginning to brown.
- Let cool on wire rack.